We are leaving in a busy and connected world full of information and activity that really takes out a lot of energy from our body, mind and spirit yet we ignore the importance of having a balance in all these – Work, Life, Health and Family. Life is meant to be fun and interesting but the reality is far from it especially in the era of 24-hours news channels. There are many useful things in life that we love yet they may be a source of disruption and stress – cars, phones, ipads, computers, laptops, TV etc
I am a twitter addict and maniac. Ever since I discovered this powerful tool of communication, I find myself always going back to find out what is new, what is happening, what are my friends saying? blah blah blah. There’s no debate on the merits and power behind these tools and other social networks. But I have come to discover that in order to think, reflect and focus I sometimes have to switch off from technology and do something different that can help me recharge and revitalize. In this article I share a few tips that I have found useful in relieving one from the immense pressure, fatigue and clogging that life puts on us to the point that we suffer from an information overload.
- Unplug. Switch off completely from the phone / Internet and work. Even at the workplace social media can be a huge source of disruption in preventing you to concentrate or finish a report or some other work that you want done but it is inevitable that we must disconnect for a while in order to get things done.
- Create time to be alone: Sometimes we read everything and learn except to think. We have no time to think through and reflect on important issues of life. Sometimes it is hard to think in a crowd, so cutting off from others and being alone may help one to think.
- Have a walk in the park. Leave the phone behind and have a walk alone.
- Be with friends and family. Eat, drink, chatt and have fun with those significant others. Spend time with them.
- Do the things that you like: swimming, singing, play a guitor, read a book etc
- Go for a safari. Take a vacation and go to a far place where there’s no network or Internet. I went for a holiday in Mombasa and it was such a refreshing experience. It was re-energizing and helped me in getting new ideas and gave me a new direction in life. This year I plan to go to Malindi in August for my vacation. This is something that I have to do.
- Rest and sleep. Even at home, it is easy to find yourself checking mails or watching a certain movie or following news late at night but it is important at times to go to bed early, rest and have enough sleep.
- Yoga. Never done yoga but those who practice it inform me that it works magic in helping one to meditate and reconnect with your spirit.
- Physical Exercise. Physical exercise is useful either in a gym or some sort of sports that you can do regularly or daily. It helps in stretching your muscles and keeps your body fit.
- Sexercise: Had never known sex is powerful and refreshing until I read an article on the Times of India. Sex de-stresses you, keeps you rejuvenated, elevates your moods and stretchs, tones and exercises your body muscles.
Without taking measures and developing a culture / habit of balancing things in life, we put ourselves or even those around us into a huge health-risk to the point of being ineffective due to burn-out. So when is the last time you switched off from the hustle and bubble of life and spend time alone reflecting? What else can one do to refresh their mind, spirit and body? Please add it here by leaving a comment.
No related posts.